»

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

♥ Savvy Savin' Suppers ♥


Well I don't know about you but sometimes I get stumped with what to do with leftovers especially after a holiday.  This is exactly my dilemma today, Ham.  We love ham, my children love ham, BUT honestly how many ham sandwiches can one person eat?  Or potato soup with Ham?  Or Ham pot pies?  The list is endless.  They all are very good and all simple to make BUT I was on the search for something different something NEW!

And this is what I cam across!  Ham and Cheese Frittata!  Oh it's heaven on earth for breakfast!  Or Lunch or Dinner!  And of course, it's within my $5 budget!

 ham and cheese frittata ser Ham and Cheese Frittata

Ingredients

1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)

1 large potato, peeled and diced ($.15)

1/2 onion, sliced into strips ($.15)

2 cups leftover ham, diced ($1.50)

8 eggs ($.80)

1/4 cup milk ($.03)

1 tsp salt and pepper, each

1/2 – 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($.75)

Fresh Fruit ($1)



Directions

Preheat oven to 450.



1. Mince garlic.

mincing garlic 1 Ham and Cheese Frittata
 
Using the flat part of the knife, press down on the garlic clove until it crushes.
 

 
Cut off the stubby end and peel off the skin.
 
mincing garlic 3 Ham and Cheese Frittata
 
Chop with knife.
 
2. In skillet, saute minced garlic, diced potatoes and onions in olive oil.
 
ham and cheese frittata Ham and Cheese Frittata
 
3. Once brown, add a few tsp of water and cook another 1-2 minutes. Then add in the diced ham.

4. In bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
 
ham and cheese frittata 2 Ham and Cheese Frittata
 
5. Pour egg mixture over the ham, potatoes and onions.

6. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the eggs have set around the edges of the skillet.
 
ham and cheese frittat 4 Ham and Cheese Frittata
 
7. Place skillet into the oven and bake at 450 for 5-10 minutes, or until eggs have set in the middle.
 
ham and cheese frittata 5 Ham and Cheese Frittata
 
8. Add shredded cheese to the top and bake another 1-2 minutes until cheese melts.



9. Serve Ham and Cheese Frittata with Fresh Fruit (I used my $1 off Produce from Publix and My $1 off Produce from Target).



Cost $4.48

This price could very well be considerably cheaper if you worked the sales for the week.  I know recently they had a dozen eggs for .99 (Publix also had $1 off Dairy Coupon) and Ham would be FREE because you are using leftovers (or at least I did) and if no leftovers use ($1 of Deli and get it there) and my fruit was free from the $'s off produce.

What I do is, each week I make a Menu of what I am going to cook that week writing down every ingredient used to make that particular dish.  Then take into consideration what leftovers I have first, then verses what I have in the freezer and in my stockpile.  Mark of what you have, then make a list of what you need.  Work your grocery list off of that. 

Blessings!

Holly :)



No comments: