»

Friday, August 27, 2010

♥Savvy Savin' Suppers♥

I don't know about you but I like to try new recipes, and if I can keep the price down low, that make it all the better!  Well, each week I will be posting a new recipe (maybe an old favorite that's new to you) that will be less than $5 for a family of 4.  If you try the recipe's, please leave a comment below.  Also if you have a go to recipe that is less than $5, please post that as well.  I will try to incorporate sale items and freebies, that have been in our 6 week cycle.  So for now, Happy Clipping, Happy Cooking, and Happy Eating, on the low that is!


Pork-Chop Casserole

Ingredients:

1lb Porkchops (You can add more if you wish, for my family 1lb is plenty)
1Cup Long Grain White Rice
1 Small Can of Mushrooms (Can be omitted)
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom
2 Cans of Beef Consome'
1 Stick of Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a fry pan, melt 2 Tablespoons of Butter.  Sear both sides of the pork chop to lock in flavor and juices.  Do not cook fully, they will continue to cook in oven.  I personally cut the bones out of my porkchops, but to each is own. 

In a 9 x 13 baking/casserole dish.  Pour one stick of melted butter in the bottom of the pan.  Sprinkle the one cup of rice over the butter. Sprinkle canned mushrooms over rice. In a seperate bowl, mix together the 1 can cream of mushroom and 2 cans consome' together.  Then pour of rice mixture.  Lay porkchops on top of all ingredients.  Cover with tin foil.  Bake in oven at 350 degrees for one full hour.  Take out of oven and let sit undisturbed for about 5-10 minutes.

Enjoy!

Publix regurally has Green Giant Steamers BOGO and you can score veggies for free or close to it.  Pair that with the casserole and you have a balanced meal!


Breakdown:

1lb Porkchops (.99 per lb )
1 cup Long Grain Rice  (Free at Harris Teeter Last Week)
1 small can mushrooms (.50)
1 Can Cream of Mushroom (.30) on sale last week at Publix
2 Cans of Beef Consome' (.60) on sale last week at Publix
1 Stick of Butter (.20)

Grand Total:  $2.59

With a price that low, you could have dinner and a "Simply Savvy Dessert"  for all under $5.00! 

5 comments:

iam2crystal said...

I think everybody is gonna cook this meal....only because I went to PUBLIX today and there was only 1 can left and none in the back...guess I'll be buying my 2nd can at wal-mart tonight b/c this is supper for tomorrow :)

Unknown said...

I like what the person before me said.I was going to say the same thing. I live in kingsland and they were out too. Guess everyone is planning on having this. I can't wait to try it.

Jen@BigBinder said...

Ooh, this looks good! I make a similar recipe with chicken but never thought to use pork, which, by the way my kids call "Our friend the pig". Big pork fans here, I'm glad you linked this up to Recipe Roundtable and I hope you'll come back!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

My husband isn't a huge pork chop fan, but I think he will like this!

I have a dumb question: should the rice be cooked beforehand or can I put in the casserole uncooked?

Rebekah and Holly said...

Carol

You put the Rice in the dish uncooked! As long as the dish stays in the oven for a full hour and remains untouched for an additional 10 minutes out of the oven, your rice will be cooked to perfection! It will be YUMMY!

Blessings!
Holly :)